Types of Information We May Collect
- Personal information you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name, age, date of birth, home or mailing addresses, email address, home or mobile telephone numbers, login/user ID and password details, student ID, credit card and/or other financial information, biographical information (such as demographics or household data), academic work product, academic performance data, employment outcome data, and other similar information;
- Information you provide to us through community discussions, member information pages, blogs, emails, chats, dispute resolutions, information you share with us through other social applications or websites, or information you share with us by attending our events;
- Information regarding your interactions with our Sites, including, but not limited to, your IP address, device type, geographical location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from our Sites, and web log information;
How We Collect Your Information
We collect your information when you:
- Create an account on our Sites;
- Register, apply for or enroll in our online or in-person courses, programs or other Services;
- Participate in our surveys, audits, and competitions;
- Interact with us on various social media channels, on our Sites and at our events, offline and online;
- Post information to our Sites (e.g., chat rooms, blogs, member discussions, alumni stories, etc.) or provide information offline to use or to participate in our Services;
- Communicate with us by any means. For example, by interacting, in-person and/or through electronic means, with our instructors, career services, marketing or sales teams, by participating in our events and discussions, or by requesting additional information or support from us;
- Sign up, offline or online, for events or programs that are run by us or by the third-party organizations that we partner with.
We also collection information, such as anonymous usage statistics, by using cookies, web beacons, server logs, and other similar technology as you use our Sites.
We may use a tool called “Google Analytics” to collect information about use of our Sites. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit the Site, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they used prior to coming to the Site. Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit the Site, rather than your name or other identifying information. The information collected through the use of Google Analytics is not combined with personally identifiable information. To learn more about how Google Analytics collects and processes data and the opt-out options at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information in the following ways:
- For the purposes for which you specifically provided the information including, for example, applying for, registering for or enrolling in a course, program or other Services;
- To contact you regarding the status of your transaction, to respond to any requests or inquiries that you may make, to send you email notifications about our products, Services and special offers, or to otherwise contact you;
- In connection with your participation in any Flatiron course, program or other Service;
- To enhance existing features of, or develop new features for, programs, products and Services;
- In the event of a sale, merger, bankruptcy or other change in control of Flatiron your information may be shared with the person or business that owns or controls our Sites and Services. Opting out of receiving information from third parties will not affect our right to transfer your information to a new owner;
- For our internal business purposes (e.g., business planning, program development, etc.);
- For purposes of conducting internal audits or investigations;
- If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the edicts of the law or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process or in response to requests or inquiries from government agencies;
- To protect and/or defend the rights, property and/or safety of you, Flatiron and/or Flatiron’s students, employees, affiliates and agents.
How We Share Information
- Job Report Audits: Our independently audited Jobs Reports are an important resource for prospective students (and others). By enrolling in a Flatiron course or program and thereafter providing us with your employment outcomes data, you consent to Flatiron disclosing this data (e.g., names and locations of employers from which/whom you have received job offers, titles/positions offered, compensation rate offered, start dates and potentially other job offer-related information), along with your name, to our independent auditors for purposes of preparation and auditing of our Jobs Reports. Rest assured that: our auditor is subject to a non disclosure agreement prohibiting the auditor from disclosing, among other things, your name (or any of your other personally identifiable information); and neither your name nor any of your other personally identifiable information will appear in the Jobs Reports.
- Credit Card Information: Payments are made through our secure payment solutions providers. Debit or credit card information is provided directly to our payment solutions providers that operate a secure server to process payment details and use encryption technology to protect your debit/credit card information. Debit/credit card information that you supply to our payment solutions providers is not stored by us or within our control, and is subject to each of our payment solutions providers’ own privacy policies and terms and conditions.
- Email Addresses: Except as may be required by law, or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process, we will not share your email address with third parties, although we reserve the right to present you with advertisements on their behalf.
- Major Business Transactions: In the event of a major business transaction such as the merger or acquisition of all or part of Flatiron by another entity, your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction as permitted by law and/or contract. We cannot control how such entities may use or disclose such information.
- Links: Our Sites may contain links to other sites whose privacy practices may differ from ours. Such third-party sites are not under our control and have separate and independent privacy policies. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each website. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites.
- Public Forums: Our Sites may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, newsgroups and/or other groups available to the users. Please remember that anyone may read postings on a forum or in a chat room or group and such postings become public information. Such information can be collected and used by others besides Flatiron and its affiliates. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party’s use of information that you disclose online.
Flatiron is active on social media (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and shares information, images, and video with the public through external social media sites. The social media sites are not affiliated with us and offer their own individual terms of service and privacy policies. We encourage you to read the policies of each website. Anyone can make comments on social media sites, but please remember that the social media sites are public, which means that anyone can see your posts and your posts may even show up in search engine results. While we will not edit comments, we may delete a comment from our page on a social media site if it, for example, does not relate to the posted topic on the social media page or post, promotes or advertises a commercial product, service or business, uses obscene, threatening, or harassing language, or if it is a personal attack or hate speech that targets or disparages any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group (or other legally protected group), or if it advocates illegal activity or violates copyright laws.
Children’s Privacy Statement
- Our Sites and Services are not intended for and are not directed to children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 and therefore do not knowingly distribute such information to third parties. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our records.
California Minors Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident under 18, and a registered user of our Sites, California law permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information that you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please send us an email with a detailed description of the specific content or information you want removed to email@example.com. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted and that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. We do not honor “do-not-track” signals.
Correct/Update Your Information
You have the option to review and correct your personal information. To exercise these options, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, identifying yourself by name and specifying the information that you would like to review and/or correct. In limited circumstances, we may decline your request where permitted or required by applicable law.
Changes to This Policy
Opting Out and Contacting Us
You may unsubscribe from our marketing/promotional communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our emails, or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Flatiron School, Inc.
11 Broadway, Suite 260
New York, NY 10004
Last updated August 18, 2017.